Loosing your pregnancy weight
So, its 2 months since I have had baby Rio and the extra kilos are still hanging on for dear life to my hips and backside, HELP!I am the nutritionist, these extra kilos were supposed to “fall” of with the placenta in the delivery room (or “spa” as they call it in HK).
This time its taking me much longer to loose these extra kg’s. They say it takes 9 months to make a baby and 9 months to loose the weight and regain your pre-baby weight, so I guess I still have 7 months to go?
So what are the reasons it is taking so long to loose the weight?
- My body obviously needs the extra fat for the breast-milk supply, breast-milk is a very fatty form of milk (baby needs the fat to form his brain, outer ends of the nerves, joints, hormones….), so maybe I should not rush to loose this weight and let my body do whats best for the baby (just a thought)
- I am sleep deprived, I have no time to exercise, I have no time (or desire) prepare lots of salads, instead I crave carbohydrates in all forms- all this is leading to my metabolism slowing down.
So, what can I do to make the weight drop quicker?
- Eat super clean: no sugars, processed foods or junk foods. Stick to lots of veggies, steamed wild fish, fresh fruits, whole grains, raw (and sprouted) nuts and seeds.
- Sleep when ever possible, if you don’t get enough sleep, you end up eating more, according to new research at Mayo Clinic: http://newsblog.mayoclinic.org/2012/03/15/less-sleep-time-may-increase-calorie-consumption/
- Exercise, hit the gym, walk with the pram, do yoga in your living room- anything will do at this point.
- Drink 3L of water a day, important for our breast-milk supply & also boosts our metabolism.
- Take an omega 3 supplement high in DHA.
Remember if you are breastfeeding you burn an extra 500 calories a day, that’s really not that much, so its no excuse to polish off the box of chocolates + the doughnuts that you just did.
On a positive note, I do have this amazingly adorable baby with deep blue eyes giving me non stop smiles every time I look at him, but damn, I miss my skinny jeans….